Is the Baofeng UV-5R dual band handheld radio legal on the MURS radio service

 Can I use my Baofeng radio ANYWHERE legally ?

  The Baofeng UV-5R dual band handheld radios are a great deal no matter HOW you look at it, Even though they are only legal for certain service in the VHF/UHF radio spectrum.

 So where CAN I use my Baofeng ?


 At the time of this writing, the Baofeng UV-5R radios are only legal for use on certain VHF/UHF radio bands. Some of these include:

  • Amateur radio service
  • GMRS
  • Business bands
  • Public service
UHF radio service 
VHF radio service  
Here is a pic of my Baofeng UV-5R to hold your short attention span


BAOFENG UV5RE Dual Band Amateur Radio available NOW at Sears!

What about the Multi Use Radio Service (MURS)


IF you do not want to read anymore, let me just answer this question for you now....NO!

 The MURS radio service was started by the FCC in November 2000 as a multipurpose radio band in the VHF spectrum. According to WIkiPedia:

 Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is an unlicensed two-way radio service similar to Citizens Band (CB). Established by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in the fall of 2000, MURS created a radio service allowing for unlicensed (Part 95) operation, with a power limit of 2 watts. The FCC formally defines MURS as "a private, two-way, short-distance voice or data communications service for personal or business activities of the general public." MURS stations may not be connected to the public telephone network, may not be used for store and forward operations, and radio repeaters are not permitted.

Since the Baofeng UV-5R radio has the capability to put out more than 2 Watts of output power, the radio does NOT qualify under part 95 of the F.C.C regulations for this radio service. Sure, you COULD technically turn down the output power and use it on this band, and no one would probably ever know the difference, but why take the chance on getting fined, and always have to be watching over your shoulder to see if the FCC is in your yard.

Just another pic to soothe your ADHD

 But wait, there is good news 


  So there you sit, scratching your head and wondering just what should you do now. You bought the excellent little Baofeng UV-5R radio after reading all the hype and great reviews on this little dual band handheld radio, none of them mentioning that the Baofeng radios are illegal for the average user. So NOW what ?

 Well, for starters, you could look into getting your amateur radio license. This will allow you to not only use the Baofeng UV-5R to it's full potential, but will also open up a whole new world of communications. You can make new friends from all over the world that share your interest.Plus it's just a helluva lot of fun !!!

 Another option is to use the Baofeng UV-5R in the GMRS radio service. Let's take another look at WikiPedia:

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a North American land-mobile FM UHF radio service designed for short-distance two-way communication. It requires a license in United States but can be used license-free in Canada. The United States permits use by an adult individual who possesses a valid GMRS license, as well as his or her immediate family members.[1] Immediate relatives of the GMRS system licensee are entitled to communicate among themselves for personal or business purposes, but employees of the licensee, who are not family members, are not covered by the same license. In 2010 the Federal Communications Commission posed removing the individual licensing requirement. As of August 2013 no final action has been taken.[2]
GMRS radios are typically handheld portable devices much like Family Radio Service (FRS) radios, and share the FRS frequency band near 462 and 467 MHz. Mobile and base station-style radios are available as well, but these are normally commercial UHF radios as often used in the public service and commercial land mobile bands. These are legal for use in this service as long as they are GMRS type-approved. They are more expensive than the walkie talkies typically found in discount electronics stores, and are generally considered higher quality.

Damn, everything requires a license these days, and I'm lazy. 
 OK, I know that this MAY be true, but a license will cover EVERYONE in your household. According to WikiPedia:
Any individual in the United States who is at least 18 years of age and not a representative of a foreign government may apply for a GMRS license by completing the application form (either on paper or through the FCC's Universal Licensing System) and paying the license fee (currently $85.00). No exam is required. A license for a GMRS system is usually issued for a 5-year term.[3] Prior to July 31, 1987, the FCC issued GMRS licenses to non-individuals (corporations, partnerships, government entities, etc.). These licensees are grandfathered and may renew their existing licenses. No new GMRS licenses are being issued to non-individuals, nor may existing non-individual licensees make major modifications to their licenses.[4]
The license extends privileges of the primary licensee to include communications with the licensee's immediate family members, and authorizes immediate family members to use the licensee's station(s) to conduct the activities of the licensee. Additionally, the FCC rules allow GMRS licensees to communicate with other GMRS licensees. GMRS licensees are allowed to communicate with FRS users on those frequencies that are shared between the two services. The rules require each GMRS user family to have a license, rather than (as in the case of commercial and public safety land mobile license) authorizing a licensee's employees to use the same license.
OK OK OK, I get it !!

What sort of Range can I expect with my Baofeng UV-5R Radio ?

 So, now that you have spent your hard earned 50 bucks on a radio you can't use legally without getting a license, the ball is in your court. Do not pass up this opportunity to explore the exciting field of radio and electronics. Go out and find an Amateur Radio club today, and start working on your license, or apply for a 5 year license in the GMRS radio service TODAY !!


BAOFENG UV5RE Dual Band Amateur Radio available NOW at Sears!